I’ve come to find out that there is not a master list anywhere on the internet for the accessories and things you can get for a mattress. I was quite shocked by this. So I created this huge list of stuff you can buy for your mattresses and beds.
Some of this stuff you may already know about, but some of it you might have never thought about getting.
I want to start off with an odd one first. I bet you never heard of a mattress vacuum? Just like how the name sounds it’s just a vacuum made to clean a bed.
Some even have UV light to kill germs and such.
A mattress vacuum is great to go the extra step to keep a mattress clean of dead skin and bugs. I do recommend you check them out.
Another one that most people might overlook is a simple mattress protector. It’s a very smart idea to get a mattress protector, just makes sure you get one that fits your mattress. These things can keep a mattress lasting longer and keep you from voiding your warranty too.
We can’t talk about mattresses unless we talk about Pillows. There is so many types of pillows you can choose from. You know, more than queen – king – twin – full and so forth.
Here is of the different types of pillows…
- Memory Foam – Just like memory foam beds, the memory foam pillows adjust and contour to your head for a great fit.
- Shredded Memory Foam – One of my personal favorites. Just like the memory foam pillow, this one is just smaller pieces of foam that conforms a lot better for my head. I feel like this is the best type of pillow you can buy, but thats just me.
- Latex Pillow – The great thing about latex pillows is that you can get some that are vented that really sleeps a lot cooler then other pillows.
- Microbead Pillow – Mostly used for travel pillows, you can get these pillows for normal use. These pillows can be light weight and feel very airy, almost like a cloud.
- Gel-Fiber Filled Pillows – These pillows can be very soft but yet firm, a good compromise. These pillows feel the most “pillowy” out of all the other pillows due to the feel of them.
- Cotton Pillow – Very soft and luxurious feel. The best part of this pillow is that it doesn’t smell like other pillows.
- Buckwheat Pillow – Very soft and organic type of pillow. Great for people who have a foam or feather allergies.
- Down Pillow – A down pillow is simply a pillow filled with feathers. Sometimes they have goose or duck feathers. You also see synthetic down pillows on the rise here lately.
- Polyester Pillow – The polyester pillow is much like the cotton pillow, but they tend to be a little bit on the cheaper side of things. I actually like this type of pillow, could because I’m cheap, but the value for them is quite nice with the modern ones.
- Water Pillow – Just like how the name says, this pillow uses water. Very popular for people how have neck and head issues. Consider this pillow if your Chiropractor/Doctor recommends it.
- Inflatable Pillow – If you need a pillow for camping or traveling that does not take up much space then an inflatable pillow is the ticket. Not popular for normal use in bed, but I do know some that have used it for sleeping on regularly.
- Pregnancy Pillow – This pillow has a unique shape to help pregnant women sleep better.
- Neck Pillow – A neck pillow is just a travel pillow that supports you while you sleep on a plane, car, or train.
- Kapok Pillow – If you need a down pillow alternative that is also organic then the Kapok Pillow is the one.
Since we’re on the topic of mattress protectors, what if you want to make the mattress softer or firmer? Well, you would use a mattress pad. There are many different types of mattress pads in the world. Some made of memory foam and others can be made of latex or even cotton.
The topic of bed frames is so huge that I created the ultimate guide on it here. I would recommend to check out that guide, there is so many cool and interesting bed frames in the world that you can buy.
Bed Sheet Suspenders
Ever have the bed sheet keep moving on you? I hate that too! The good news is that you can get bed sheet suspenders like these ones here.
These suspenders works very well to keep the sheets from popping off.
I remember my mother use to put safety pins on my bed sheet to keep them from falling off. That was such a bad idea! The only thing it did was tear the bed sheet. If anyone is reading this don’t use safety pins to hold a bed sheet on, but buy some bed sheet suspenders because they work a ton better!
I’ve got to mention comforters when talking about beds. I know it’s obvious but it must be mention.
Mattress Heating Pad
On the cold nights, you need something to keep you warm. This is where the heating pads come into play. They keep you warm and some even are waterproof!
If you need to bring your bed up a couple inches for storage or to make it look taller you can get Bed Risers.
If your mattress slides around on the bed frame then you need a mattress non-slip pad. They’re simple and easy to install under the bed. Great idea to keep the bed from moving around on you.
I use to have a box spring that I had a memory foam mattress on top of it and it would slide around until I got the non-slip mattress pad. So I highly recommend them.
Accidents do happen. Even if you have a mattress protector can’t always stop the stains. So you need a cleaner to get rid of odors and stains from a mattress. So I’ve added a mattress cleaner to the list of accessories.
Plus it’s nice to clean your mattress once in awhile.
You’ll be surprised how dirty a mattress can get over time.
If you have a bed that has two top mattresses but want to feel like you have one big bed then you need to buy a Bed Bridge. Sometimes the wife wants a soft mattress but the husband wants a firm mattress but both want to have one big bed to share.
So a bed bridge will connect them to make it look like one big bed.
Like most of us you might have a TV remote or may read in bed. So you get left with the question of where to place them?
A bed caddy is great to organize your stuff near your bed but still have it out of the way. I have night stands like everyone else but I don’t like to keep anything on top of them so what I do is use the bedside caddies to keep the stuff out of the way and on the side of the bed where people can’t see. I know its a bit odd but I really like it that way and I’m sure others will too.
Stop Saggy Mattress
One accessory that never really gets mention is the option to stop a saggy mattress. You can buy a Mattress Helper to stop or help to solve the saggy mattress problem you may have.
This is usually a big problem with innerspring mattress and box spring. You place this under the mattress and on top of the box spring. This keeps mattresses from sagging too much and really helps to keep your mattress a bit longer.
If you’re moving then it would be smart to buy a mattress bag to protect it from bugs and road tar.
I go into more details and giving tips on moving when a mattress is involved here.
If you love to read in bed then you got to check out these bed lights you can get these days. Some of these lights use bending necks that can stretch out over time, but this light on the right works the best if you ask me because it doesn’t do that.
I’ve got to have some white noise and moving air to be able to sleep. I’m sure I’m not the only one. You can get a BedJet that actually blows the air under the sheets which feels amazing!
There is another type of fan that blows air around the room made by Vornado. I’ve done a little review on it here.
If your dog or cat likes to sleep in bed with you then it nice to have dog steps to help them get in bed. I have a little dog so these doggy steps are a must for her little legs.
It’s getting her to use them that can be an issue at times, but that’s to be discussed later.
I like to get the dogs steps that are carpeted or soft and not the plastic ones. Just in case I hit my toe or something it won’t get cut or hurt. Plus the plastic ones don’t fit well with the soft fabric look of a beds. But the plastic ones are a bit easier to clean.